The Brothers of the Christian Schools had been teaching in a primary school in Monaco-Ville in the Principality since the time of a Sovereign Ordinance issued by Prince Charles III.
They were invited to open a second school in the new Monte-Carlo district. This school opened temporarily in 1890 in premises near Saint Charles' Church. At that time it had three classes, with 166 pupils.
At the start of the school year in 1897, there were 360 pupils in 6 classes. At the end of the year they, took the daunting certificate of studies, with great success!
Later, in 1913, to meet the needs of the school, the Prince's Government built a new floor, and in 1953 the upper part had an entrance on the Boulevard de France in Beausoleil, the girls' school, run by the Dames de Saint-Maur, otherwise known as the Sisters of the Infant Jesus.
In 1966, the Sisters left the upper part and Saint-Charles discretely became a mixed school, managed only by the Brothers.
In 1992, the Prince's Government decided to rebuild the École Saint-Charles to meet the growing demographic needs of the Monte-Carlo district. To enable this, the École Saint-Charles moved to the Rock while the work was undertaken.
In 1997, the new Ecole Saint-Charles was ready to welcome its new occupants.